Friday, September 24, 2004

To Ponder

To Ponder

By Thomas L. Cromwell

One day I happened to perform

a peccadillo minor

But hastened quickly to reform,

to thus become the finer


My conscience clear, I then returned

to business as I saw it

Convinced the sin I had abjured

would not come back to spot it


‘Twas short-lived, far as respites go:

the guilt next day was stronger

And pressing on my heart-strings so,

I could not bear it longer


This heavy weight upon my heart,

it gave me quite a beating;

I soon divined by thinker’s art

the cause: what I’d been eating


Thus any open, thoughtful mind

is forced to ask the question:

How many times has suicide

been caused by indigestion?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I highly enjoyed and appreciated the sincere musing of indigestion and how, even though it is not normally pondered, can affect one. It left me with a renewed appreciation of stomach regularity and made my heart merry.

Thank you.