Thursday, October 14, 2004

Thoughts on God's Will

I appreciate the comments I received on my last post. There is certainly truth in them. Since then, however, I have had a sort of epiphany/reminder. As my last post shows, I generally go with the accepted view of God's will, which has to do with there only being one truly "right" answer to a particular issue or decision, the brightest thread, and nothing else is God's will. But I keep forgetting something my Bible teacher in high school once told me, which I really like, and I believe it when I think about it. I was reminded of it again today when I was having a discussion about relationships with my favorite teacher on campus, one of the English teachers: I was telling him how I want to do God's will in my choices in relationships. He said, "I'm not saying this facetiously, but have you ever stopped to wonder if God really cares?" This made me think: I'm always so worried about what God's will is, but sometimes, when the choice isn't going to interfere with my salvation or my usefulness to God, maybe he leaves it up to us. He just says, "You can choose this, or you can choose that, and I'm with you either way." I really like that view of God's will. It seems more open and reasonable than some other ways I've heard it. My teacher also told me in our discussion today that God might say, "I don't want you to look for a sign from me, because then if it doesn't work out, you might wrongly blame me. I'm okay with it either way." That seems much more in tune with the idea that God gave us free will, and gave it so that we could use it. When we talk about free will, we often focus on only two options, right and wrong, and focus on the fact that free will gives us the option of doing what is wrong. This is an important aspect of free will, but obviously right and wrong are not the limitations of the options: there may be many right options and many wrong options, and free will was given for us to choose between those right options and avoid the wrong ones. We were meant to CHOOSE. So begging for a sign or something is like throwing my responsibility (and privilege) of choice and free will onto some sign, person, or ultimately God, which is not what He wants. Otherwise, why did He give it to us? That isn't to say that we shouldn't search to follow His guidance in the deeper matters, when we truly do not know what is right and wrong, or other possible scenarios, but in general questions in which there is no wrong answer, why don't we use what God gave us to use and choose?

No comments: